Slow cooked Quorn Sausages, puy lentils, carrots & caramelised red onion with a dash of balsamic vinegar & lemon. Sprinkled with parsley.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 20 Quorn Best of British Sausages
- 3 tbsp oil
- 15g butter
- 300g red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g carrots, finely diced
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 500g puy lentils, rinsed
- 1.5ltr vegetable stock
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 20g flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 100g half fat crème fraiche
- Gently heat 2 tbsp oil and the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion with the sugar and cook gently for 15 minutes until the onions are softened and caramelised. Add the garlic and carrot to the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the thyme with the balsamic vinegar, puy lentils and stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Add more stock if the lentils become dry.
- Meanwhile pre-heat the oven to 180°C / Gas Mark 4 and lightly brush the Quorn Sausages with the remaining oil and cook for 15 - 18 minutes or until core temperature is reached.
- To finish the cassoulet, stir in the lemon juice and zest, mustard, half the parsley and crème fraiche. Taste and season with salt and black pepper if required.
- Stir the Quorn Sausages through the lentil mixture and sprinkle over the remaining parsley.
Hints & Tips
Green or brown lentils can be used as an alternative in this recipe.
Nutritional Information Per Serving